Volunteering at iVentures 2017
On October 27, I had the pleasure of volunteering at
iVentures, a conference organized by Interactive Ontario, in partnership with
the Ontario Media Development Corporation and the Canada Media Fund.
My volunteering stint was at the registration desk in
the morning which turned out to be very quiet with few people checking in (since
most of them had done it the day before). However, I did have a chance to chat
with my fellow volunteers: some were classmates from the same interactive media management
program and others were from different programs at the same college.
After my shift was over, I headed to the Expo where
companies had the opportunity to exhibit their products. It was a great chance
to meet different people from various companies. I met the two principals, a digital animator and a developer, behind Inscribed Games. While I was
chatting with them, I learned that they were recent graduates of Centennial
College. Small world indeed! I also had an opportunity to try a VR game for the
first time. The company was called VRGEN and I got to try out their VR headset
with their Mech League Boxing game. I’m embarrassed to say that my arms were
killing me afterwards. So much for my toddler-lifting workout.
With my arms needing a break, I thought the timing was
perfect to sit in on the Content Showcase session. The session consisted
of four different presentations from interactive digital media professionals. The
one that really stuck out for me was the talk given by Jean Leggett of One More
Story Games. Her company created a storytelling game platform where authors can
customize their work into a game format. I found this fascinating since as a
freelancer I’ve been working with a lot of science fiction and fantasy
manuscripts recently that centre around stories which would make excellent games as well.
While I didn’t get much of a chance to interact with
industry professionals at the registration desk, I did have an opportunity to
meet with some afterward. I think this event was a great chance to network for newbies, but I
think to get the most out of this event, I would recommend volunteering for two
days rather than one. From what I heard, the first day definitely sounded
busier. I thought the Content Showcase was excellent, and my only regret was that I wasn't able
to attend other sessions. Well, there’s always next year!


Comments
Post a Comment